July covid-19 update
The Bendigo Theatre Company Committee of Management, together with the Tribe Committee, met to work through the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our ability to continue with Cats & Beyond Reasonable Doubt.
We had stated that we would explore the possibility of performing Beyond Reasonable Doubt later in 2020. This is no longer the case, and we will work with the cast and crew to seek new dates as part of our 2021 Season.
Regarding Cats (which is currently in rehearsals) we have taken the difficult decision to postpone the show, cancelling our planned September/October performance season. We know this is devastating. The entire Cats company have done an exceptional job, weathering the challenges COVID-19 has placed in front of them, calmly and courageously jumping every single hurdle, all while prioritising the health and safety of all team members. We know that from a production standpoint, we would be ready to proceed in September, however, with the return of stronger lockdown measures we do not have confidence that we will be able to accommodate an audience in September/October. While the social distancing rule remains in place for indoor gatherings, we do not see a way to proceed.
A great deal of planning and preparation has already gone into Cats, and it promises to be a spectacular production. It will be postponed, pending contractual negotiations until Season 2021 (or, late 2020, restrictions pending). We appreciate that rehearsals have offered wellbeing benefits to those involved; to that end, we will seek to continue a reduced rehearsal period (in consultation with the team) for as long as government restrictions permit.
We are devastated, but we know it is the right decision. We thank everyone for their support and kind words of reassurance during this tough time. The Committee and I sincerely appreciate it.
We will see you soon. Until then, look after yourselves and the ones you love, and please, stay healthy.
All our love,